Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Teen boy skate board bedroom on a serious budget

My son is now every bit of 14. Long gone are the days of footy pajamas and stuffed Winnie the Pooh. Now it's all about the decks and wheels. I wanted to give him his own little pad while still being close enough to monitor shenanigans. 

If you grew up in the 70's, you probably remember corner groups.  They were great, but they are impossible to find on Craigslist and I couldn't find any online.  My husband built very simple boxes out of plywood.  We flipped them upside down, painted them and there ya go.  Bed bases for probably $60.

Because of the corner group arrangement, all the furniture ends up lining the walls.  So to save space I took this book shelf that I got for $5 at Good Will and put it on top of the dresser.  Hoping it will help to keep clutter off the top of the dresser.  Win-win if it works.  Eventually I'll paint it black to match the dresser.


My son is a freshman in highschool. Holy crap! I'm still not used to saying that.  This desk is also an Ikea cheapy. 4 legs and a top. It's been in many rooms over the years. Probably ran me $30.



Skate boards left laying around the house make me crazy! It hurts when you trip on them!  I took some $ .69 shelf brackets, attached them to the wall and the decks just sit on top of them. Easy to grab and gets them off the floor. 


These are actual shelves. I bought 3 colorful skate boards from Walmart for $10 each, attached metal brackets and Voila! Cool shelves for about $13 per shelf.

Last, I bought some commercial signs from Home Depot-less than $2 each, taped em up and we're done! Can't wait until he gets home from school today! 

Now he's got his own teen space and extra room for a friend to hang out too. I just may want to hang out in there too.  Would that cramp his style too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...